Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Boxeo

My last entry, with blooming flowers and all, was bit more romantic than this one =).

Anyhow, last weekend I had A brand new experience. I was was doing the light for Sound and Light Pool on a boxing event, Boxeo. The lobby of Airport Hotel Basel was jam-packed with nearly 500 spectators who were all cheering for the local heroes punching the opponents in the nose.

I've never experienced anything of such in real life before. Of course I've seen the Rocky movies and some Muhammed Ali stuff in tv, but this was in a way even more brutal than in the telly. I personally find it hard to imagine that someone would voluntarily climb up to the ring to get his/hers ass kicked, but then again, I guess the whole point actually rather is kicking someone else's butt. Doesn't always happen though, as I quite literally witnessed when, instead of hanging in there for scheduled 6 rounds, a boxer goes down in 2:25.

The last professional heavy-weight fight.

The popularity of the event somehow surprised me. It was already sold out well before the start. And the amount of finely dressed ladies in their diamond jewellery and sipping champagne actually blew me away the most. Perhaps boxing is after all a sport for the cream of the society. I rather enjoyed more the tricks of the magician who performed between the fights. But to live is to learn... =)

The Local Hero Arnold "The Cobra" Djergjaj
bringing it down for Hungarian Norbert Sallai

No comments: