Thursday, December 10, 2009

Getting into the holiday mood

With all the time to kill and lots of schrubs on the roof, what better a source for creation of some Christmas decorations? Back in Finland mum always hangs this same swag on the frontdoor. It's made out of straw and red ribbon, simple thing actually, nothing too taggy. I decided to follow suit this year, but mine turned out to be bit more showy =D

Only things I bought was the little length of the red satin sash and the star -and some iron wire to put it all together. All the greenery I used grows out of all proportions on our roof. Red branches with blue berries are from woodbine and the other plant is this evergreen thing that makes green (and blue berries) on the wintertime and has no English name that I would know, soooorry. It just might be English ivy (Hedera helix), but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, who cares?

My seasonal door swag.

In my opinion it turned out quite cute albeit flashy, and it's delightful that I didn't have to steal or buy the plants. It's just plain goofy to spend ten bucks in a flower store to get yourself some pine branches whereas in Finland you could just trek into the woods and get some! Probably it's not quite allowed to cut somebody else's bushes, but I don't really see who would seriously mind. Same action is of course possible here too, but to get access is bit more complicated, since surrounding forests are way more populated than their Finnish equvalents. But anyway, little trimming is definitely not bad for our roof plants since they spread every summer like social disease =)

No comments: