Sunday, December 9, 2007

Finland 90 years 6.12.2007

Last Thursday was the 90th anniversary of an independent Finland. I was invited to reception at Riihimäki. This is a tradition of my very dear long-time friends Pikku-Markku and Kalle.


Very common scenery of the season.

Weather for the independency day was also very traditional, very wet and rainy. I drove to Riihimäki in the afternoon and the festivities slowly started after 16.00. Familymembers and good friends of Pikku-Markku and Kalle all came together to toast for the occasion.

Kalle and Pikku-Markku

Around six o'clock was time for yeat another tradition; to sing the national anthem, all together accompanied by piano. Little after that the broadcast from reception at presidential castle began in the tv and some of the guests settled down to watch it. This is very popular thing in Finland and also this year the program collected nearly three million spectators. I just wanted to catch a glimpse of couple of my friends who had gotten the invitation to the presidential party.

"Oi maame Suomi, synnyinmaa, soi sana kuuuuultainen..."


All together...

Presidential reception

Lively discussions

Later on in the evening the abundance of prosecco and champagne showed their impact among us and singing was very wholehearted, -no matter what neighbours should think about that. Some of the guests even got into dancing... All and all, it was a very nice party and I got to meet some people I haven't had a chance to meet in many years and made some new friends also. Thanks PM and Kalle!!

National-romantic themes and tunes; "Sininen ja valkoinen"


So charming...

Bubbles in all shapes and sizes

Something in the air...

Smooth maneuvers of Lauri and Heidi.

Kalle taking it easy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Anonymous said...

hi, your profile is interesting. interesting to know anout you.